We are currently accepting applications for the following positions detailed below:
- Policy Analyst
The Sycamore Institute, a nonpartisan public policy research center for Tennessee, seeks a full-time Policy Analyst to join its bipartisan team. Sycamore provides accessible, reliable data and research to foster dialogue and elevate discourse in the policymaking process.
The Policy Analyst is a valuable member of Sycamore’s small but high-producing research team with responsibility for data analysis, research, and writing on public policy issues that affect and connect the health and prosperity of Tennesseans.
Critical to the position is strong quantitative and analytical skills, innovative and strategic thinking, the ability to translate complex concepts into accessible written and oral communications, and the capacity to work in a fast-paced environment with competing demands without sacrificing attention to detail.
The position reports to the Policy Director and is located in Nashville, Tennessee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze policy issues that affect and connect the health and economic prosperity of Tennesseans — consistent with Sycamore’s research priorities and strategic plan.
- Use quantitative and qualitative analytic skills to identify and explain the impact of policies and proposals in a way that is accessible for Sycamore’s target audiences (i.e. policymakers, the media, policy influencers, and the public).
- Research and write reports, briefing documents, and other publications.
- Pull and interpret Tennessee-specific data from large, publicly-available datasets.
- Stay abreast of literature, national policy, and state activity relevant to Sycamore’s research priorities, taking the initiative to identify emerging issues, research questions, and methods and how they are relevant for Tennessee programs and Tennesseans.
- Provide information and technical assistance in response to requests from legislators and other stakeholders.
- Participate in internal staff meetings and trainings, including those related to strategic planning, resource utilization, and scheduling.
- Perform other duties, as assigned, related to the mission of Sycamore.
- Master’s degree in economics, government, public policy, public administration, public health, urban planning, or relevant field and 2 years of relevant practical experience (e.g. professional work and substantive internships, fellowships, and assistantships).
- The ability to work proficiently and independently in R and/or STATA.
- Knowledge of statistical methods and interdisciplinary research approaches.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing and interpreting raw data from large, publicly-available datasets, such as those from the U.S. Census Bureau (e.g. American Community Survey), the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS, and the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS).
Required Core Competencies
- Excellent writing, communication, analytic and organizational skills.
- Ability to synthesize information and data from multiple sources and translate complex ideas into accessible, actionable analysis for a broad audience.
- Capacity to work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Capacity to problem-solve when faced with unexpected obstacles.
- Ability to provide objective, unbiased analysis of politically-charged issues.
- Commitment to having open dialogue on complex and sometimes difficult policy issues — including a willingness to share and listen to people with different perspectives.
- Ability to be a self-starter and manage and prioritize multiple projects and requests to achieve quality results in a timely manner.
- Ability to maintain performance and self-control under pressure or adversity.
- Attention to detail.
- An openness to working on multiple areas of policy that affect and connect the health and prosperity of Tennesseans — including, but not limited to, public finance, health, criminal justice, financial security, and education.
- Initiative to learn new skills and information to fulfill the duties of the position and improve Sycamore’s ability to deliver on its mission in new, innovative ways.
Sycamore is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color, individuals with disabilities, and those with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in public policy.
- Salary range dependent on level of experience.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including medical and life insurance with dental and disability options.
- 401(k) matching option.
Email a cover letter, resumé, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls or in-person application submissions please.