The Sycamore Institute, a nonpartisan public policy research center for Tennessee, seeks a full-time Policy Analyst to join its bipartisan team. Sycamore provides accessible, reliable data and research to foster dialogue and elevate discourse in the policymaking process.
The Policy Analyst is a key member of Sycamore’s small but high-producing research team with responsibility for research, writing, and data analysis on a range of public policy issues that affect and connect Tennesseans’ health and prosperity.
We are seeking a candidate who has excellent research and writing skills; thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative office environment; and possesses strong problem-solving, time management, and relationship management skills.
The position reports to the Policy Director and is located in downtown Nashville, Tennessee.
- Research and write reports, briefs, and blog posts on policy issues that affect and connect the health and economic prosperity of Tennesseans — consistent with Sycamore’s research priorities and strategic plan.
- Identify, explain, and quantify the impact of policies and proposals in a way that is accessible for Sycamore’s target audiences (i.e. policymakers, the media, policy influencers, and the public).
- Stay abreast of literature, national policy, and state activity relevant to Sycamore’s research priorities.
- Take initiative to identify emerging issues and research questions and how they are relevant for Tennessee and Tennesseans.
- Provide information and technical assistance in response to requests from policymakers and other stakeholders.
- Participate in internal staff meetings and trainings, including those related to strategic planning, resource utilization, and scheduling.
- Perform other duties, as assigned, related to the mission of Sycamore.
- Additional responsibilities and duties may vary – depending upon the experience, skillset, and development goals of the analyst.
The successful applicant will have:
Research & Statistical Skills
- Ability to synthesize information and data from multiple sources and translate complex ideas into accessible, actionable analysis for a broad audience.
- Experience analyzing data, including using Excel and/or software packages/programming languages, to assess policy issues.
- Familiarity with sound research methodologies.
- An openness and interest in working on multiple areas of policy that affect and connect Tennesseans’ health and prosperity of Tennesseans — including, but not limited to, economic mobility, criminal justice, financial security, education, early childhood, housing and land use, social capital, public finance, and public health.
- Initiative to learn new skills and information to fulfill the duties of the position and improve Sycamore’s ability to deliver on its mission in new, innovative ways.
Other Core Competencies
- Excellent writing, communication, analytic and organizational skills.
- Capacity to work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Capacity to problem-solve when faced with unexpected obstacles.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to provide objective, unbiased analysis of politically-charged issues.
- Commitment to having open dialogue on complex and sometimes difficult policy issues — including a willingness to share and listen to people with different perspectives.
- Ability to be a self-starter and manage and prioritize multiple projects and requests to achieve quality results in a timely manner.
- Ability to maintain performance and self-control under pressure or adversity.
- Preference will be given to candidates with relevant practical experience or a degree in economics, government, statistics, public policy, public administration, public health, urban planning, or relevant field.
Sycamore is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color, individuals with disabilities, and those with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in public policy.
Working at Sycamore
As a member of the Sycamore team, you can expect to have an impact on policy areas you care about and work with great colleagues who are fun, smart, mission-driven, and collaborative. At the Sycamore Institute, our internal culture is as important to our work as high-quality research. We embrace collaboration, complexity, intellectual honesty, empathy, and disagreement. We reward skill, innovation, and hard work and provide ample flexibility and meaningful opportunities to learn and grow in ways that benefit both you and the organization.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets employees’ needs during the various stages of their life – including paid time off and parental leave, medical and life insurance with dental and disability options, and a 401(k) matching option. The salary for the Policy Analyst position ranges from $50,000-$65,000, depending on level of skill and experience.
Founded in 2015, the Sycamore Institute is an independent, nonpartisan public policy research center whose mission is to provide accessible, reliable data and research in pursuit of sound, sustainable policies that improve the lives of all Tennesseans. Sycamore exists to help policymakers, the media, and the public understand complex issues that affect and connect Tennesseans’ health and prosperity. We are:
- Independent – Sycamore takes a neutral and objective approach to analyze and explain public policy issues. We are not beholden to any political, government, academic, or other organization.
- Nonpartisan – Our leadership and staff come from across the political spectrum, but we all believe that data and evidence create the best foundation for effective public policy.
- Researchers – Sycamore provides information, analysis, and opportunities for learning and discussion. We are not lobbyists or advocates for particular legislative proposals, political perspectives, or party agendas.
Email a cover letter, resumé, and writing sample (no more than 4 pages) to careers@sycamoreinstituteTN.org. No calls or in-person application submissions please.
Don’t See the Job for You? Stay Tuned
Subscribe to our email list below to be alerted to future openings and receive all our latest research and analysis.